VLM - The Vision-Learning-Mining Research Lab
The VLM lab is a research lab at the Computer Science and Engineering
Department of the University of
Texas at Arlington. The lab is directed by Professor Vassilis Athitsos. At the
VLM lab we are conducting research in the areas of computer vision,
machine learning, and (to a lesser extent) data mining. Current areas of focus include human motion analysis, gesture and sign language recognition, and hand pose estimation..
- Zahra Anvari
- Alex Dillhoff
- Marnim Galib
- Sakher Ghanem
- Reza Ghoddoosian
- Ashiq Imran
- Xin Miao
- Shiba Kuanar
- Saif Sayed
- Fadiah Qudah
- Jai Shah
- Bhaskar Trivedi
Developing computer vision and data mining methods for assessing cognitive skills in children, based on the children's performance in structured physical and computer-based tasks.
The goal of this project is to develop a system that lets users search dictionaries of American Sign Language (ASL), so as to look up the meaning of unknown signs.
The goal of this project is to develop methods for efficient identification of subsequence matches in large databases of time series. Demo applications are being developed for sign language video, query by humming, and handwritten text search.
Developing efficient indexing methods for similarity-based search in large image, video, and multimedia databases.
Detection and registration of complicated shapes, such as branches and articulated objects, that cannot be characterized as a configuration of a fixed number of parts.
Estimating 3D hand pose from a single, cluttered image, under arbitrary 3D orientations of the hand.
- Srujana Gattupalli, August 2018.
- Next Stop: Intel, Deep Learning Engineer.
- Amir Ghaderi, May 2018.
- Next stop: uSens, Deep Learning Researcher.
- Wei Xiang, May 2018.
- Next stop: JD.COM US R&D Center, Algorithm Engineer.
- Christopher Conly, August 2016.
- Next stop: UTA, Senior Lecturer.
- Pat Jangyodsuk, May 2016.
- Next stop: Capitalogix Trading, Senior Data Scientist.
- Zhong Zhang, May 2015.
- Next stop: Cardlytics, Big Data Engineer.
- Currently: LinkedIn, Machine Learning Software Engineer.
- Alexios Kotsifakos, May 2014.
- Next stop: Microsoft, Software Engineer.
- Currently: Amazon, Software Engineer.
- Paul Doliotis, December 2013.
- Next stop: Wynwright, Computer Vision Engineer.
M.S. Thesis Alumni:
- Saif Sayed, December 2017.
- Siddhartha Swaminathan, May 2016.
- Srujana Gattupalli, August 2013.
- Danny Hanson, May 2013.
- Sanjay Vasudeva Iyer, May 2013.
- Ameya Kulkarni, December 2011.
- Rajesh Radhakrishnan, December 2011.
- Himanshu Pahwa, December 2010.
VLM Research in the News